Are you prepared for Hokkaido’s cold weather? Here I make a very simple packing list for a trip to Hokkaido for this year winter. Visiting Hokkaido in winter could be challenging as the weather there is awfully cold. If snow starts falling on its grounds, all the ski resorts will get busy. Let’s say, winter is in full swing now. You hold a cup of coffee at a coffee shop while outside the temperature drops down, and snowing constantly. What makes the day wonderful when you take long sleep on your bed, no I don’t follow custom, sorry! Instead, I go outside and explore the areas in a new look.
In winter, a large number of local and international tourists gather in Hokkaido. If you ask them why they think it as a perfect winter holiday destination then you can expect four possible answers – winter festivals, seafood, skiing and hot spring resorts. In fact, I am telling you this based on my previous experiences as often I meet with strangers down the street in Sapporo. By the way, let’s get to the main topic. Winter packing list somewhat messy but don’t feel that way as I am here to help you. May you find an easy way to get rid of this, good luck!
What to Pack and How to Pack Light for Hokkaido Winter
I assume you have a very limited idea on how to deal with Hokkaido’s extreme cold weather. Don’t pretend that you know everything else to beat the cold there. My first suggestion to you, don’t encounter its extreme winter season without the ideas of how to dress warmly! Your attires have to be well suited and ideal to survive the cold. Please note that you can buy winter cloths (cheap & expensive) in Sapporo. Therefore those who are sick for packing things and fond of light packing should consider buying clothes in Japan. Keeping your body out of the freezing cold weather is all about Layers. Though there is variety of hot drinks available to keep you warm. Also, eating a bowl of hot Sapporo or Asahikawa ramen would work as a great tonic!
Winter Clothing – The Layers
Let’s take a look at the winter clothing packing list you desperately need to know. Below you will see some of my best winter travel accessories (for men) that I personally used in the past and will be used in the future as well. Just tell you that I am a huge fan of Columbia Sportswear and one of their loyal consumers! For women, they can pack 2 or 3 bras and other necessary girls’ travel accessories. Also I recommend packing a pair of beautiful cozy comfy slippers including couple of long sleeve t-shirts. Oh if you have time then please read this article to get some ideas on what to wear in Hokkaido in winter!
Have you ever heard of the Sapporo Snow Festival?
There is nothing much to say here about this greatest snow festival because I have written a complete guide to enjoy the festival. Click here to read the article right away. And if you are interested in experiencing more than this one then follow this link and find other famous snow festivals of Japan.
My personal reviews for men’s clothing only that you see them on the table shown above.
1) Boots: It is a comfortable pair of boots with waterproof seam-sealed construction. Last year I bought this pair and I was fully satisfied with quality. One of the most important features of this boot is – it is very light weight, warm and easy to walk on the snowy grounds. I highly recommend you this pair for your trip to Hokkaido this winter.
2) Socks: A pair of ordinary socks cannot protect you much, therefore prefer buying thermal boot socks that is lightweight and warm. 3 pair of socks is recommended for your Hokkaido trip!
3) Thermal Underwear: Visiting Hokkaido in winter but without wearing thermal underwear? This sounds crazy and you are going to ruin your trip for sure. Please wear the thermal underwear I recommend you here. This will keep you warm at night and day time when you go for skiing and snowboarding. If you don’t know where to go for skiing and snowboarding then visit this page and find out the top ski resort in Hokkaido.
4) Pants: Life without jeans is worthless! This is actually what I think of sometimes. I have purchased this one a few days ago keeping in mind that I need a pair of jeans for my winter vacation. Even though it is autumn now here, it is cold outside at night and very early in the morning. In fact, I wore it already and it fits me perfectly. It is really comfy!
5) Fleece: This is my one of the favorite winter outfits and a great treasure in my closet. It is nice and warm and perfect when you stay inside a hotel, restaurant, bar and shopping store. Just take off your jacket and feel comfortable with this one. Don’t you forget that you are provided heating system inside a house!
6) Jacket: I have already bought this jacket for upcoming winter season. I know how cold it is in northern Japan. Don’t think twice but get this one before visiting Hokkaido. In an extreme cold weather that locals usually have in the winter know the value of a jacket like this one. I would wear this over the fleece I purchased only when I feel really cold outside. If you coming to visit Hokkaido from a country where the weather is not as cold as it is in Hokkaido in winter then wear both (fleece + jacket). Good luck!
7) Hat & Scarf: Recently I have been looking for a set of scarf and hat and thankfully I have found this one. The set looks very fashionable and I am sure when I wear these they would keep me warm and protect from cold wind and snow. Anyway, it is amazingly sophisticated! Please collect it soon.
8) Gloves & Mitten: You must need a comfy pair of gloves to deal with the cold weather in Hokkaido. I choose this one as it looks stylish and keeps my hands warm. It is a real charm, no way!
I hope you won’t forget packing the following electronic devices.
Camera – pack your DSLR camera and capture the happy moments
Kindle – A perfect time killer machine for readers
Laptop and Laptop charger
Phone and Phone charger
Miniature flashlight, and
Universal Travel Case for small electronics and accessories – this one is very handy and protects your all electronic devices from scratches and any other damages.
First Aid Kit
It is one of the most important topics to discuss about when packing a list of accessories in your luggage. Seriously you need these to make your trip hassle free.
Shampoo and conditioner – take the one you use for everyday, better buy a new one for your Hokkaido trip.
Miniature body lotion
Deodorant – anyway, what’s your favorite brand?
Razor – if you shave often almost every day then why not to take it?
Hair Clipper – Lately I have purchased this cheap hair clipper but it works great!
Toothpaste and toothbrush
Chapstick/Lip Balm – One of the a must needed toiletries!
Important Winter Travel Gear for Hokkaido Trip
Backpack (medium size) – You can take a look at my backpack for get some ideas.
Sunglasses – get one if you think it is necessary
Luggage lock – Japan is one of the safest places on earth, no one would steal your things but who cares!
Money belt – wear this money belt and keep your valuables safe such as money, passport, and credit card.
A pair of hiking boots – for a comfortable hike, please check this pair out.
Eye mask – works best when you sleep on the plane
Japan Travel Guidebook – Visiting Japan without packing a great travel guidebook?! That’s nonsense, please collect this travel guide as soon as possible.
My Final Words and Few Other Packing Tips
When it comes to talking about winter packing list, first and foremost thing to discuss about is the clothing idea. While traveling in colder climates, you have to wear the perfect attires that make you feel good, look good and keep warm. Sometimes it might seem awkward when you try travel with only a carry-on luggage and medium size backpack. Packing all these travel accessories will not be a daunting task in your carry-on luggage and the backpack you are going to buy. You can check out my current backpack that I have been using since last month. It servicing me well!
If your intention is to travel carry-on only then buy this luggage and hopefully this would be handy for you. Certainly, you would freeze if you ignore the clothing ideas I have shared with you. I don’t want let it happen to you. Besides, walking down the street and experiencing the snow festivals across Hokkaido in February is a tradition we follow. Therefore be well prepared, feel comfortable and always look good. If you are on a mission to discover all the winter wonders of Central & Northern Japan then apply this packing list ideas. I do hope this packing list help you decide what to take and carry for this year winter holiday in Hokkaido. Enjoy the snowy weather!
Copyright 2016 @ takkhis